I had this procedure done. I was told it was going to be pain free and that I would waltz out of my doctor’s office. Wrong. It was excruciating. (I couldn’t believe they didn’t put me to sleep first — but since you’re awake you get to watch them screw the coils into your fallopian tubes on a big monitor.) I was in significant pain for two days, followed by several days of tenderness. Then … my followup tests (which are also painful) to confirm the procedure had worked were inconclusive the first time so I had to stay on the The Pill for close to a year anyway. And then … the icing on the cake … I got billed $1100 out-of-pocket after being told that the whole thing would cost me a $50 copay.
My doctor — who offered to reimburse me for half of my bill for the second followup — sold this procedure to me as the latest and greatest no-worry, no-pain form or permanent birth control. In fact, all the docs at the practice did. I’m thankful I haven’t had more serious complications but I found the procedure to be costly, painful and emotionally draining.
- Teryn’s Story Hello- I am a 26 year old mother of two children. My son is six and my daughter is one. After having my daughter I decided I really didn't want anymore. I had spoke with my doctor about […]
- Heather’s Story I had the essure procedure done in June 2011. The initial procedure was a piece of cake, no pain, no bleeding no cramping, just the discomfort during placement. I was in and out of the […]
- Rebekah’s Story I had mine done last year and experienced terrible pain from the day I had it done up until I ended up having to have a full hysterectomie done! I complained for months how much pain I was […]
- Jackie’s Story My story is not as severe as some of these ladies, but it is still full of frustration and pain. Three years ago I got the procedure. I had no problems, went very smoothly. I went in to […]
- Lisa’s Story Hello, My nightmare with Essure began in 2012 after the birth of my second daughter. My husband and I decided our family was complete and we should check into a permanent birth control. So […]
- Brandy’s Story Hello, I’m 33 years old and had Essure put in dec of 2012. I thought at first that this was a great choice, but since I have had them I get really bad back aches. They would come and go […]